Top Competitive Selling Points for System x3650 M4, x3650 M4 HD, and x3650
M4 BD (As of March 19, 2014)
A highly energy-efficient, two-socket rack
server that offers high performance and exceptional reliability
The x3650 M4, x3650 M4 HD, and x3650 M4 BD offer:
- 22-nm Intel E5-2600 v2 “Ivy Bridge-EP” processors, which
feature Intel’s Tri-Gate transistors. These processors are a shrink of the
“Sandy Bridge-EP” processors and include all of the features of “Sandy
Bridge-EP” plus improved power consumption. Intel has extended the core
count of “Ivy Bridge-EP” to twelve cores for added performance.
- A high-spindle count x3650 M4 HD storage array that opens
new markets for IBM and its business partners.
- Up to 14 3.5-inch drives in the x3650 M4 BD for an industry-leading
56 TB of storage in a 2U server.
- Enhanced virtualization with Intel Trusted Execution
Technology (TXT), providing hardware-based mechanisms that help protect
against software-based attacks by sectioning off application environments.
- Up to 768 GB (24 DIMMs) of LRDIMMs with ECC, up to 384 GB (24
DIMMs) of DDR3 RDIMMs with ECC, up to 128 GB (16 DIMMs) of DDR3 UDIMMs
with ECC, or up to 384 GB (24 DIMMs) of DDR3 HCDIMMs with ECC, including
new 1.35V low-voltage DIMMs.
- A high level of energy efficiency with energy-efficient Intel
E5-2600 v2 processors, optional low-voltage DIMMs, an energy smart design,
and IBM Active Energy Manager power monitoring and control.
- A 40C operating temperature, which delivers high levels of
efficiency, increased component density, and cost savings.
- A 12 Gb/s controller (standard on some models) with hardware-based
RAID 0, 1, and 10. Upgrades to RAID 5, 6, 50, and 60 are also available.
- An extremely wide range of storage configurations,
including high capacity and a high number of spindles.
- Extreme energy efficiency with optional low-voltage
processors, low-voltage DIMMs, 94%-efficient power supplies, an energy
smart design, counter-rotating fans, an altimeter to regulate fan
rotation, and IBM Active Energy Manager power monitoring and control.
- An advanced Integrated Management Module (IMM2) that
enables remote control to manage, monitor, and troubleshoot servers from
any location. It has an integrated video controller, a remote
presence/cKVM function, and Super I/O. The IMM2 has a responsive user
interface, fast power on, and high remote presence performance.
- A TPM chip, which is a coprocessor that can hold
cryptographic keys that protect information.
- Multiple I/O configurations available through two
- UEFI as a common management interface across all of IBM’s
new System x platforms, replacing BIOS.
- An optional IBM Virtual Media Key for additional
systems-management capabilities, including:
- Web-based out-of-band control
- Virtual floppy and optical drive support
- Windows “blue screen” error capture
- LDAP and SSL support
- Remote redirection of PCI video, keyboard, and mouse
- Multiple USB ports, including internal USB ports for
virtualization and security/authentication needs.
- A choice of two hot-swap and redundant 80-plus platinum
(94% efficient) supplies and a smart, redundant cooling design that
delivers exceptional energy efficiency.
- Enhanced Predictive Failure Analysis, which helps decrease
planned and unplanned server downtime for improved reliability and maximum
- Light-Path Diagnostics, which helps
speed up diagnosis of failures by providing a lighted path to problem
components, minimizing maintenance expense and downtime.
- IBM ToolsCenter, which provides a single website for
creating bootable media (CD, DVD, or USB), with updates customized for
- Integrated quad-port Gigabit Ethernet with the option of
two 10 Gb Ethernet ports via a mezzanine card.
- IBM Systems Director at no additional cost, which delivers
a single interface for managing both physical and virtual resources.
ServerProven Compatibility for the x3650 M4 (7915):
ServerProven Compatibility for the x3650 M4 HD
ServerProven Compatibility for the x3650 M4 BD (5466):